In this first semester, you’ll study two units concurrently.
Professional Fashion Practice
With your existing fashion range created through your undergraduate studies, or starting from new, you’ll analyse and reflect on your research to identify the fashion brand you wish to develop. As part of a community of staff and students exploring design ideas, you’ll develop your professional practice in a discursive, cross-disciplinary studio environment. As you develop your brand identity, you’ll strengthen your CAD skills, identify target consumers and competitors, and modify your collection to fit your brand aesthetic.
Research and Critical Enquiry
Through research, critical enquiry and understanding of a range of cultural, social ,economic and industry contexts, you’ll underpin and enhance your brand development. A range of analytical tools and research methodologies will assist you as you investigate contemporary and future innovations in design, materials and processes. Market positioning, consumer research and brand identity will be explored, with an emphasis on critical thinking and reflection.
Collection Development and Consolidation
You’ll apply your skills from term one to support and inform the design and modification of your fashion brand. Your body of work must be appropriate for an intended market, target consumer and season and should clearly demonstrate an evolving practice as a fashion designer and entrepreneur. An understanding of sustainability is an essential component of the design development, and you’ll collaborate with industry mentors to develop a commercial business plan. Working with external manufacturers, industry specialists, mentors and your tutors, you’ll demonstrate key skills in design practice, range planning, manufacturing and industry collaboration.
Final Project Resolution and Brand Launch
The culmination of your studies, you’ll develop your own business platform post-graduation, including a marketing strategy, and brand e-commerce website.
Fees and additional course costs
The course fees per year for 2021 entry are:
- UK students full-time - £10,400
- EU students full-time - £10,400 (see fee discount information)
- International students full-time - £17,500 (standard fee)
- International students full-time - £16,800 (full early payment fee)
Additional course costs
In addition to the tuition fees please see the additional course costs for 2020 entry.
Find out more about our course fees and any financial support you may be entitled to:
These fees are correct for the stated academic year only. Costs may increase each year during a student’s period of continued registration on course in line with inflation (subject to any maximum regulated tuition fee limit). Any adjustment for continuing students will be at or below the RPI-X forecast rate.
Fee discounts and scholarships
To support all of our current students and our recent UK and EU alumni to progress to the next level of study, we have developed a new range of fee discounts across a range of courses.
Taught by lecturers and sessional staff with direct experience in the fashion industry, our course has a number of high profile industry links, including:
- Avery Dennison RBIS (UK): Global Retail Branding and Information Services
- Twine-s (Israel): Technology company offering a revolutionary digital on-demand thread dyeing system and a digital dye-to-match colour application
- Tasker Apparel (UK): Leading ethical garment manufacturer supplying independent fashion designers and brands
- Fashion Scout: the UK's largest independent showcase for emerging and established design talent during London Fashion Week. Fashion Scout is renowned for championing, nurturing and showcasing creative design talent from around the globe.