You'll be introduced to the University and the technical workshops and facilities available to you. The first term includes a range of lectures and seminars and you’ll start to explore your creative practice.
Research and Critical Approaches: Animation
This unit explores the different modes of research related to the creative process. It is a critical and practical study in which students will develop their skills in translating imagined film concepts into treatments, project proposals, screenplays and other forms of communicating film ideas. The first part of this unit is delivered jointly with MA Film Making and MA Documentary Practices.
Skills and Development: Animation Practice
This unit allows you to further your knowledge and technical ability within your own animation practice. Through a series of practical workshops and lectures, you'll cover pre-production and research, sound design, storyboarding and animatics, animation techniques and editing.
During term two you begin developing your MA project, evaluating and testing out the aims of your proposal over a sustained period of self-directed study.
The work undertaken in this unit should build on the research questions you initiated and explored in the Skills and Development and Research and Critical Approaches: Animation units. This is the period within which you will undertake the majority of your production work for your film. Throughout the unit you will be encouraged to critically reflect on the development of your project.
In the third term of the course, you'll apply the knowledge gained through your research to create a final body of work.
Project Delivery and Professional Context: Animation
This allows you to reflect on the work that you've produced so far, and resolve it into a form that allows for completion and delivery of your animated film.
The course fees per year for 2019 entry are:
- UK and EU students full-time - £6,910
- UK and EU students part-time - £3,540
- International students full-time - £15,500 (standard fee)
- International students full-time - £14,800 (full early payment fee)
The fees for 2020 entry have not been confirmed but will be listed here as soon as possible.
Find out more about our course fees and any financial support you may be entitled to:
These fees are correct for the stated academic year only. Costs may increase each year during a student’s period of continued registration on course in line with inflation (subject to any maximum regulated tuition fee limit). Any adjustment for continuing students will be at or below the RPI-X forecast rate.
Fee discounts & scholarships
To support all of our current students and our recent UK and EU alumni to progress to the next level of study, we have developed a new range of fee discounts across a range of courses.
Our course actively encourages you to gain industry experience through a wide variety of approaches. These include work experience, internships, studio visits, commissions and competitions and entry into major film festivals.
We've built an extensive network of industry connections, giving us access to high-profile visiting lecturers, and to commissions, competitions and exciting work placement opportunities.
Our industry links include:
- Aardman Animations
- STUDIO AKA
- Passion Pictures
- Mackinnon & Saunders
- The Mill
- Blink Productions
In the last three years, speakers on the course have included animators, directors and other creative practitioners such as:
- Barry Purves - Oscar-nominated animator and director
- Caroline Leaf - Oscar-nominated animator and director
- Phillip Hunt - Oscar-nominated producer, and director at STUDIO AKA
- Smith & Foulkes - Oscar-nominated animators and directors
- Darren Walsh - multi-award winning commercials director of 'Meerkats'
- Pete Saunders - director of Mackinnon & Saunders, makers of puppets for Tim Burton
- Cyriak Harris - maverick and internet sensation
- Joanna Quinn - film director and prize-winning animator.
- Michael Dudok de Wit - Oscar-winning animator and director
- Grant Orchard - BAFTA and Oscar-nominated animator and director
- Max Hattler - renowned, award winning artist working with animation.