Study Abroad on exchange

Your university experience at UCA can reach far beyond the South East of England.  

At UCA we offer you the opportunity to study abroad as a fully recognised and accredited part of your degree course. We have strong collaborative links with partner institutions worldwide and our experienced team can help you take advantage of the opportunities available to study outside the UK.

Studying abroad can be a life-changing experience. Living in another country, you'll experience new places, people, cultures and possibilities. You'll develop initiative, independence, motivation and, depending on where you go, a working knowledge of another language – all qualities employers are looking for. 

There are two types of exchange options available - a funded Erasmus+ exchange or an international exchange, each of which normally lasts three to five months. If you are on an undergraduate degree, exchanges tend to take place during your second year in the spring term.

We have links with around 50 partner institutions across Europe and further afield, including Australia, Canada, Japan and the USA.

Erasmus+ is a European funded programme that aims to promote and support student mobility. As an Erasmus+ student you will have the opportunity to spend half a year abroad at an Erasmus+ partner institution in Europe as an approved and accredited part of your studies at UCA. The length of the placement depends on the term dates for the partner institutions. You will receive a grant which contributes towards extra costs you may have during your exchange period.

Read our Erasmus+ Policy Statement

Erasmus logo

International exchanges take place at our non-Erasmus+ partner institutions. There is no grant available through UCA for international exchanges and you must therefore be prepared to cover all extra costs (e.g. travel, accommodation) yourself. Generally, this type of exchange would also be for half a year.

Two students discuss graphic design

Find out if you are eligible and how to make an application

  • Who can apply?

    Undergraduate students enrolled in the first year of their degree course* can apply to study abroad in Year 2. 

    Home, EU and International students are eligible. Students from outside the EEA/EU or Switzerland will need to research their own visa requirements. 

    *Students in the School of Crafts and Design should see the International Year page. Exchanges are also available to MFA Photography students.

  • When do I go?

    Exchanges tend to take place in your second year, during spring term. Students from BA (Hons) Film Production and BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design in Canterbury can only go on exchange in the autumn term. 

  • What academic requirements do I need to meet?

    55% average grade in your first year. If during your first term of your second year you fail a unit, your application might be cancelled.

  • Where can I go?

    We have a range of partner institutions, but where you can study is dependent on the links your degree has with overseas institutions and is subject to approval from your Course Leader.

    Please visit our partner institution page to find out about the opetions available for your course. 

    Our exchange partner institutions offer a limited number of places to study on exchange, so you will not be guaranteed a place at your top preference institution. Please therefore be flexible and consider a number of different institutions.

  • Will the exchange be recognised as part of my degree?

    Yes, the credits earned abroad as part of your exchange programme will be transferred back to UCA (normally the equivalent to 60 UCA credits). However, your exchange will only be awarded a "pass" or "fail" grade due to the difficulty of translating the grades used in different education systems. This means that the exchange will not count towards your final classification degree. Therefore, your UCA Stage 2 unit marks (i.e. those that you studied at UCA, excluding any units studied overseas) will count as 25% of your overall degree classification and your Stage 3 unit marks will count as 75% of your overall degree classification. 

  • What does it cost?

    As part of your exchange you are not required to pay the host institution any tuition fees or examination fees, however you will be responsible for covering the cost of your travel, accommodation and living expenses. 

    You should have access to the student UK government loans or grants that you would usually be eligible for whilst you are abroad. 

    An additional travel grant is available through Student Finance on a means tested basis. Find out more and check your eligibility. 

    Students on Erasmus+ placements will receive an Erasmus+ grant of between 300-350 EUR per month. A supplementary grant is available for students from a disadvantaged background. The disadvantaged background supplementary grant is an extra 120 EUR per month.

  • How do I apply?

    Applications to study abroad in 2019-20 as part of your second year (Level 5) are now open, please complete our online form:

    Study Abroad Application Form for 2019-20

    The deadline to submit an application will be Monday 4 March 2019.

    More information about the process:

    Stage 1 - Submit application to the Study Abroad team

    Stage 2 - Academic approval: The Study Abroad team will check your final grades at the end of the academic year and you will receive an email notification stating whether you meet the academic criteria. 

    Stage 3 - Submit application to partner university: Once your application to the Study Abroad team has been approved and your academic approval has been received, you will apply to the partner university you have been selected for. It is your responsibility to take ownership of the process and submit an application by the deadline to the relevant university. Typically the documents that most of the partner universities require are:

    • Portfolio
    • Personal Statement
    • Scanned copy of your passport photo page
    • Transcript of grades (which you can get from Campus Registry)
    • Learning Agreement
    • International exchange only: evidence of funds required specified by partner institution

    Stage 4 - Notification of outcome by partner university: It takes normally up to 4 weeks for the partner universities to process applications, so bear in mind that you will find out if you have been accepted within 4 weeks (approx.) after the application deadline of your selected university. 

  • How do I find out more?

    Help and advice about applying for an exchange is available, please contact the Study Abroad team for more information on

Student testimonials

Find out about the experiences our students have had on their exchanges.

Read our student testimonials

Any other questions?

Please contact us at