for halls

Although accommodation is not guaranteed, we are usually able to offer a room to the majority of applicants. Last year 95% of applicants who applied for accommodation before the accommodation deadline (6th June) were offered a room.

You can apply for halls if you’re a new full-time student - but our accommodation is not just for undergraduate students. If you’re taking a postgraduate course and you meet the eligibility criteria set out in our allocation policy, you can also apply.

Please note that if UCA is your insurance choice, you won’t be able to apply for accommodation until we become your firm choice.

Each campus has a number of bedrooms which are wheelchair accessible and we’ll make reasonable adjustments to modify accommodation to suit particular needs.

If you have a special requirement for your accommodation, please tell us as soon as possible about any practical issues which may affect your housing needs.

No. in fact, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible once you’ve firmly accepted the offer on your course.

We always do our very best to find a room to suit you.  If you apply after the deadlines and are not allocated a room, we will provide information and advice on how to find accommodation in the private sector.

For more information see our private accommodation page.

We may have some rooms available but it may depend on the campus you want to study at. Please contact the accommodation office at your chosen campus and they will be able to advise you about availability:

UCA Canterbury
Phone: +44 (0)1227 817380

UCA Epsom
Phone: +44 (0)1372 202448

UCA Farnham
Phone: +44 (0)1252 892974

And even if we aren’t able to offer you a place in Halls, don’t worry – our accommodation team can help you find a place to rent privately.


You can come and view a room during one of the planned UCA Open Days. Alternatively, you can take a look inside using our 360 virtual campus tours, which include examples of accommodation. 

Unfortunately, this isn’t possible in most cases.

Once you’ve submitted your application through our online accommodation portal, we’ll send you some information on private accommodation.

In the meantime, find out more about looking for private accommodation.

Explore our accommodation

Take a look inside our halls using our 360 virtual campus tours.

Launch the virtual tour

accommodation offer

Our main allocation takes place mid-June and you should hear from us by the end of June with an outcome.

If your application is successful and you’re allocated a room in halls, we’ll let you know the deadline for accepting the offer. This is usually seven days after the offer date.

If you don’t accept by the deadline date, we’ll withdraw the offer and give the room to someone else.

The accommodation agreement can only be accepted by you. However, anyone can make the advance payment to secure your room offer.

and payment

The cost varies depending on the campus you’ll be studying at and the halls of residence you’re allocated.

You may also like to read the Terms & Conditions of Residence.

We don’t ask for a deposit, but you’ll need to make an advance payment of £300 to reserve your accommodation. This will be deducted from your first instalment of residence fees.    

After this, if you decide you no longer want the room, we’ll return your advance payment in full, as long as you tell us in writing no less than two weeks before the start of your accommodation agreement. If you don’t tell us by this date, the £300 will be held to cover the rent until we can find someone else to take the room.

Yes, as long as they know your name, UCA student ID number and how much needs to be paid. Please make sure that this information is clear on any paperwork.

Payment dates for residence fees are arranged to coincide with student loan payments as far as possible. If there’s a delay in getting your loan, please contact our accommodation services team straight away to discuss a new payment date, otherwise you may be charged for late payment.

in halls

We’ll tell you everything you need to know about moving in once you’ve accepted your room offer. If you’re moving in after the start of term, you must pay all the current term's residence fees before moving in.

Our halls are all self-catering. In most cases, you’ll have your own study bedroom with a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, and blinds or curtains. Bring your own personal possessions to make the place feel more homely.

Each house or flat has a shared kitchen/dining area equipped with a cooker, fridge/freezer, kettle, microwave and dining furniture. Basic cleaning equipment such as a vacuum cleaner is also provided.

You’ll need to bring your own pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, kitchen utensils, tea towels, towels, sheets, pillows, and a duvet (and cover) or blankets.

We are working in partnership with an organization called UniKitOut, we can now provide a range of items including bedding and kitchen utensils to be delivered to your room prior to your arrival. Available in ready-made packs and individual items to suit all budgets, you can rest in the knowledge that our combination pack will provide all the essentials to help you settle in to your new student accommodation.

Why cram your suitcase or spend hours searching the aisles when you can have all your student needs quite literally at your finger tips? Please view the UniKitOut website for all the details.

Yes. The period of residence is continuous, so you can stay during the Christmas and Easter breaks. The MA and MBA periods of residence also include the summer break.

Wired internet is available in each bedroom and there’s wireless internet in the shared areas. This service is provided by external company Glide, and is included in your residence fees.

All internal communal areas are cleaned once a week. You’re responsible for cleaning your own room and en suite bathroom (if you have one). Basic cleaning equipment (such as a mop and bucket) is provided in each house or flat.

There are new protocols in place taking into account COVID-19. Please see our dedicated page to find out more.

We provide basic contents insurance for all residents living in our halls of residence. We’ll give you the details of the policy during your online induction. You can pay more for enhanced cover online at any time.

Yes, but please check to make sure that there’s a suitable aerial point. If there isn't, you’ll need to bring an internal aerial.

You must also have a TV licence for every TV that you use. So if you have one in your room, you must have a licence for that, and if you club together for a communal TV, this would also need a licence.

No - we don’t allow any pets.

You can’t park at any UCA campus unless you have a disabled badge.

We have registered all our owned and leased accommodation with the Universities UK Code of Practice. The code protects your right to safe, good quality accommodation. It outlines everything you can expect from your accommodation as well as your responsibilities as a tenant.

You can view a copy of the code in our accommodation office or on the student accommodation code website.

Contact the Accommodation Team

The Accommodation Team are available 9am-5pm Monday-Friday to answer any questions you have about living at UCA.

Email us now