Explore private accommodation

If you’re a returning or new student who didn't manage to get a room in our halls of residence - or halls aren't for you - then private rented accommodation is an ideal choice.

There are a few additional things to consider if you are looking for private student accommodation - here you'll find guidance for finding the right place to stay, plus contact details for our accommodation teams who can help.

Private accmmodation guide

So, you want to rent privately?

First of all, you need to find a great place to stay that suits your personality, your studies and your social life. We think Studentpad is a great place to begin your house hunt and get a feel for what’s available. This interactive site lets you:

  • Register and create a profile with Surrey Studentpad or Canterbury Studentpad
  • browse the website using the latest search tools e.g. the search by map function allows you to see how far away a property is from campus or the train station
  • Set up an account immediately so you can receive automated updates when new properties go live
  • Contact landlords directly.

In addition, you can also register with an alternative student housing online platform called StudentTenant where you can:

  • Register and create a profile of property and housemate preferences
  • Search for properties, save your favourites and create alerts
  • Set up viewings with landlords
  • Securely book your property online.

Finally, you can also contact local lettings agents directly - click the links below for information on these:

Unlike halls accommodation, renting privately means you'll have differing costs and commitments, which might be a bit daunting.

So, preparation is key. Do lots of research and ask all the questions you can – our student's guide to private accommodation is packed full of essential information which will hopefully help you.

If you have a property or a room that you’d like to offer to our students, please contact Student Tenant or Studentpad for more information about how to register.

As part of your registration, you’ll need you to sign up to our Landlords’ Code of Standards and provide relevant documents, such as gas and electrical safety certificates. 

You can register your property on the links below:  

Contact the Accommodation Team

The Accommodation Team are available 9am-5pm Monday-Friday to answer any questions you have about living at UCA.

Email us now