Brexit and opportunities in Europe

Brexit and opportunities
in Europe

Now that the UK has left the European Union, there are new things to consider if you are from a European university and want to study with us at UCA – or if you’re a UCA student wanting to spend a term abroad.

Currently, studying abroad in Europe is running through the Erasmus+ programme, an EU-funded programme that aims to promote and support student mobility. This is running until May 2023.

Here you’ll find information on current and future European opportunities.


Frequently asked questions

Erasmus+ is a European funded programme that aims to promote and support student mobility. Students at UCA have the opportunity to apply for Erasmus+ funding for a traineeship opportunity at a company or organisation in Europe.

Please note - This scheme ends in May 2023, and therefore may not be available to you if you are yet to join us.

You can apply for funding for a traineeship if you study part-time or full-time, and it is available for undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD students in any year of study.

You can apply if you are completing a work placement as part of your course, or as additional experience over summer, or just after you graduate.

The traineeship must be a minimum of two months and up to a maximum of twelve months and must be full time - at least 28 hours a week.

You will receive a grant which contributes towards extra costs you may have during your exchange period.

If you are interested in a work placement, you will need to apply for the placements yourself. A good place to start your search is Erasmus Intern site, IAESTE, or you could try LEO-NET’s Job Offer Exchange platform (JOE+).

Discover more about Erasmus+ Traineeships

Erasmus+ Policy Statement

Erasmus+ Charter Certificate

You can read FAQs about Erasmus+ and how to apply on our UCA student opportunities page.

This will vary depending on the destination country you will be studying/working in. You can find specific country requirements by visiting the European Commission’s website

Most EU member states will require you to have official documentation, including proof of residence, health insurance and proof you have been approved for study. You can find out more about what you need from

If you currently require a visa to study in the UK you will still need to apply for a visa to study in another EU country.

Find out more here.

The UK government has announced the launch of a new scheme for students to replace the Erasmus+ scheme, known as the Turing Scheme, the UK government’s global programme to study and work abroad.

The UCA has been successful in securing funding for the Turing Scheme, meaning you will be able to access it from the 2021-22 academic year.

Under the scheme, you could be able to study or work across the world for durations from four weeks to a year or take part in any other education or work activity for at least a month.

You'd receive a funding allowance, the value of which would depend on the duration and destination, and additional funds if you are from a disadvantaged background, or have a special educational need.

For those HE students who do not meet the criteria for additional support, you may get a grant to cover some of your travel expenses. Find out more by visiting GOV.UK for more information.

for staff

UCA has well-established partnerships with institutions across Europe and actively encourages staff to gain international experience.

The Erasmus+ programme provides funding for UCA staff (academic and professional services) to carry out a short period of teaching or training at a partner institution. We also welcome staff from partner institutions to visit UCA.

The duration for staff teaching or staff training usually lasts between two days and two weeks, but might be from two days to two months.

You can find out more by emailing our Study Abroad co-ordinator at or visiting the Staff Portal.