If you are a carer then you might be worried about and have questions about going to university. At UCA, we have ways to support you.  

On our campuses, UCA has a designated member of staff (DMS) to help you while you are studying with us. You’ll qualify for support if you are caring for another person and taking on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult.  

In addition, you will need to be: 

  • Registered on an undergraduate or postgraduate course 
  • Classed as a 'home' student 
  • Under 25 years old at the start of your course 

The best thing to do is declare this on your application form so our DMS can get in touch with you and begin the process of support. 

From initial enquiry all the way through to graduation, we’re here for you. Among the support we can offer is: 

  • Information and guidance on courses and returning to education 
  • Information on paying for your course, help accessing this and other sources of financial help. As a carer, the amount of maintenance loan you’re entitled to will be based on your household income. Full time students are not entitled to Carers Allowance. You can find out more about this on the UCAS website
  • Help and advice on completing application forms for courses, student loans/bursaries 
  • Help getting your accommodation in place, including liaising with our accommodation department, external agencies and landlords 
  • Help putting additional support in place ready for your course, such as disability and specific learning support difficulties, as well as help accessing other services available including study support, counselling and careers advice 
  • Ongoing welfare support 
  • With your permission, working with other professionals supporting you.  

All shared information remains confidential in line with the University's Data Protection Policies. 

More information about the support UCA can provide – download our booklet to find more information about the support we provide at UCA.

There are a range of external websites that offer a range of services, advice and opportunities, which we’ve compiled here:  

Contact us

UCA Canterbury

Anna Mepstead

+44 (0)1227 817 307

UCA Epsom

Nyawira Nijirani

Oliver Crenol

+44 (0)1372 202 441

UCA Farnham

Andrea Beattie

+44 (0)1252 892 612