UCA support for degree courses

To help you with the cost of living during your studies, we offer a range of scholarships. We also have a Financial Assistance Fund which can support you if you're experiencing financial difficulties.

Creative scholarships

Undergraduate creative scholarships 2019/20





Selection Criteria

Sir Ray Tindle Scholarship
(3 available)

BA Fashion Journalism;
BA Television Production;
BA Journalism & Media Production;
BA Television & Media Production

£1,000 per year for three years

Applicants to any of our undergraduate media or journalism courses. Applications are welcome from both home and international students

Academic excellence / financial need

Women in Music Composition and Technology
(3 available)

BA/BSc (Hons) Music Composition & Technology

£1,000 in years one and two, £3,000 in year three. In addition, recipients will receive bespoke industry mentoring

Female applicants to year one of UCA’s BA/BSc (Hons) Music Composition & Technology

Applicants will be asked to submit a portfolio of work and will be assessed on their creativity, originality, technical skill, contextualisation and potential for development, alongside their academic record

Invicta Scholarship (1 available)

Any undergraduate course at either UCA Canterbury or UCA Rochester

£1,500 per year for two years, plus mentoring from an Emeritus Professor

First year undergraduates at either UCA Canterbury or UCA Rochester who will be entering into the second year of their course in Autumn 2019

Academic excellence / financial need

The Elizabeth Hammond Bursary (1 available)

Any undergraduate course at UCA Rochester

£2,000 single payment

Undergraduates who will be embarking on their final year in Autumn 2019

Academic excellence / financial need

Vice-Chancellor's Creative Business Scholarships

BA (Hons) Advertising;
BA (Hons) Business Management;
BA (Hons) Marketing; 
BA (Hons) Music Marketing & Communication

£1,000 cash award

Home/EU applicants from partner schools and colleges

Applicants to particular courses from qualifying providers

How to apply

To apply for one of these scholarships please complete the application form and return it to us via email. The deadline for applications to all scholarship is the 4 August 2019. Successful applicants will be informed in September 2019.

If you are applying for the Women in Music scholarship you also need to send a link to an online portfolio.

Creative Scholarships application form 2019

For more information about our scholarships, please email us: scholarships@uca.ac.uk

Scholarships for International students

There are also a limited number of scholarships of £2,000 each (in fee-discount format) that will be awarded to new international applicants considered to be outstanding by a member of our academic staff. For more information about these scholarships and details on how to be considered for one, please see the fee discount page:

Find out more about fee discount scholarships

Bursary for continuing students only

  • Bursary information

    If you have been eligible to receive a UCA bursary previously, you will continue to receive a UCA bursary for each year of your undergraduate studies at UCA. This is up to a maximum of three years if you are studying a three year course, or four years if you are studying a four year course, as long as you continue to meet the eligibility criteria listed below.

    Our bursary schemes, and the amounts we pay, vary according to the year you started at UCA.

    Eligibility criteria

    To qualify for a bursary, you must:

    • Be a full-time undergraduate student
    • Live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
    • Have a qualifying means-assessed annual household income
    • Be paying full fees of £9,250 a year
    • Receive the Government's tuition fee loan and full maintenance loan for living costs through Student Finance England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

    How to apply

    You don’t need to fill in a separate application for a bursary. We’ll automatically check your eligibility using the data you provided to the Student Loan Company for student finance.

    So that we can access this information, please make sure that you (and any sponsors) give your consent for the Student Loan Company to share your financial information with us.

    Other important information

    We cannot answer individual enquiries about bursaries. If you are approved for an award, you can expect to receive confirmation in writing around the middle of December. You can expect to receive payment from the following February.

    You must be actively engaged in study at the time of payment. Please understand that the University may ask you to repay the bursary if you are no longer eligible when it is paid. 

    There is no longer a UCA bursary available to any student who started their course before the 2012/13 academic year, or to any student who started their course from 2012/13 onwards and who pays the lower full-regulated tuition fees of £3,465. 

  • Contact us

    If you have any questions about our bursaries, please contact: bursaries@uca.ac.uk

  • Access & Participation Plan

    Access and participation plans set out how higher education providers will improve equality of opportunity for underrepresented groups to access, succeed in and progress from higher education.

Financial assistance fund

The University has a Financial Assistance Fund which can support you if you’re experiencing financial difficulties beyond your control and you can demonstrate a clear financial need. The fund is open to all full and part-time home (UK) students on undergraduate and postgraduate courses. To be eligible, you’ll need to have applied for all student funding available to you, for example, the student maintenance loan and tuition fee loan or the postgraduate loan. We also expect you to have taken advantage of any alternative sources of funding available, including an interest free overdraft. For more information please contact your campus Specialist Adviser 

Apply for the fund

Financial Assistance Fund Advice 

Financial Assistance Fund Policy Details

Help with travel costs

Travel saver schemes

There are a number of travel saver-schemes available to you during your studies, depending on where you choose to study.

For more information on travel options, check out your local authority website.

Advice & guidance

If you’re in any way confused about what you can apply for, please get in touch with one of our friendly specialist advisers. They can also direct you to a variety of specialist resources to help you deal with practical issues and personal problems.