As a Student Visa Sponsor, we take our obligations on immigration compliance very seriously.

 The following information will explain the conditions of your visa and what The University of the Creative Arts must do to remain compliant with Student Visa Sponsorship Licence.


When you get your student visa, there are some conditions that you have to meet, otherwise the UK Visas and Immigration office may withdraw your permission to stay and it is important that you follow the immigration regulations during your stay in the UK. It is your responsibility to:

If you change your name, address, contact numbers/emails or other things, it is your responsibility to update the details that we have on MyUCA within 5 working days.

You may have to register with the police. If so, you must do this within 7 days of your arrival and you must re-register with the police any time you change your permanent address or extend your visa. You will be contacted in advance of your arrival with information on how to do this.

You will need to register with the police if:

  • Your visa is longer than 6 months;
  • You are 16 or older;
  • You are from one of the following countries: Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen;
  • You are in the UK and are changing to a visa which requires you to register.

 You do not need to register if:

  • You have dual nationality with a country that is not on the list above.
  • You have permission to live permanently in the UK.
  • You are a family member of an EEA citizen.

Registering costs money, you will need to pay at the police station or at the organised registration session during your enrolment. When you register, you should take with you:

  • Your passport;
  • Two passport-sized colour photographs;
  • Your biometric residence permit (BRP), if you have one;
  • Details of your course and place of study /student status letter.

If you do not register with the police, you could be fined and registering late can count against you next time you apply for a visa.

More information about police registration will be provided to you during induction week but if you have further questions regarding Police registration, please contact your specialist Gateway adviser at your campus library.

The main reason for your stay in the UK is to study, therefore we have a duty to monitor your study and attendance. It is very important that you attend all your classes and lectures and submit your coursework when it is due as any non-attendance or non-engagement with your course will need to be reported to the UKVI.

Failure to attend at the expected levels could result in you being withdrawn from the course and your visa cancelled.

You are expected to:

  • Attend all lectures, tutorials, seminars, projects, examinations and enrolment as scheduled for your course of study.
  • Achieve an attendance level of at least 80% throughout your course.
  • Arrive for classes on time and stay for the duration of the session.
  • Tell the Campus Registry office (by email or written note) if you are not able to attend your class for any reason.
  • Tell the Campus Registry office (by completing an ‘authorised absence’ form) if you are ill or have an accident or need to return home for an emergency - we may ask you to provide evidence of the reason for your absence, for example, a letter from your doctor.
  • Tell the Campus Registry office about any other reason you will be absent from a class.
  • We will grant compassionate leave where appropriate.

You are not allowed to take holidays during term time under any circumstances.

If you decide to leave your course early you must tell us immediately. If you are returning home or going to a different institution to study, please provide us with details so that we can notify the UK Visas and Immigration office.

You must provide us with the following before you can be fully enrolled on your course:

  • A copy of your passport and visa;
  • Up-to-date contact details in the UK – you can do this through the MyUCA.

You must also:

  • Enrol onto each academic year of your course;
  • Follow our procedures if you want to defer/suspend your studies or withdraw from your course;
  • Return home if you defer/suspend your studies, withdraw from your course or your course is terminated;
  • Act within the immigration rules if you change institutions – it is a criminal offence to register for studies at an institution other than the one shown on your visa. Students switching institutions need to make a new visa application as soon as a CAS is assigned to them;
  • Act within the immigration rules if you change your course to a shorter course. If you applied for your current visa using a CAS, we will report the change to the UK Visas and Immigration office;
  • Ensure you do not work more the maximum hours detailed on your BRP.

Please note: If you break these conditions, you may be suspended or withdrawn from your course. You may also be breaking the terms of your visa. 

Our Duties

By law, we must report certain information to the UK Visas and Immigration office. This includes notifying them if:

  • You do not enrol on your course before the last day of the enrolment period;
  • You fail to attend a class or lecture, and we have not agreed to it;
  • You do not submit work for a specific number of times, and we have not agreed to it;
  • You defer, postpone or take a break from your studies for any reason;
  • You change to a shorter course;
  • You complete your studies early;
  • You withdraw from your studies before you have finished your course.

The UK Visas and Immigration office can end your immigration permission to stay early if they are notified of one of these issues.

We will monitor your continued attendance on your course and if it is reported that you have missed multiple sessions, we must withdraw our sponsorship, withdraw you from the course and you will have to return home immediately.