Brexit news

If you are from a European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country, you will not need a student visa to come to the UK to study. This means you can follow the UK student application process. You will find this information on each individual course page.

The UK Government has confirmed that, for EU students enrolling in 2018, immigration status and associated fees, as well as access to the student loan book, has not changed as a result of the EU Referendum ‘Brexit’ vote.

If you have any questions about how Britain’s exit from the EU may affect you as a student in the UK, you may find these resources useful:

Resources about Brexit, including frequently asked questions which focus on the impact for EU nationals in the UK published by immigration specialists Fragomen

Post-Brexit immigration FAQs and a useful insight on the application process for permanent residence published by Mills & Reeve

If you are an EEA national already resident in the UK, more information and resources are provided on the UK Government website links below:

  • Registration Certificates are not mandatory and there has been no change in the rules on who is eligible for certificates. However, they prove an individual has the right to study or work in the UK and are useful for those who have been in the UK for fewer than five years: UK residence for EU citizens (
  • Certificates of permanent residence enable an individual to prove that he/she has acquired “treaty rights” to permanent residence in the UK. Broadly speaking this is where individuals have been continuously working or studying in the UK for five years or more: Apply for perminant residence document/card (