Outreach & Widening Participation
University for the Creative Arts
Marketing, Student Recruitment & Engagement Department
Privacy Notice: Outreach & Widening Participation
Note: For the purposes of this Privacy Notice,
“you” or “your” means an individual who is interested in the University’s courses or events, or Higher Education generally.
“we”, “us”, “our” or “University“ means the University for the Creative Arts
“Personal Data” or “data” means your personal identification information that you have given us or which we have collected.
“Special Category Data” means specific sensitive data which we give more protection
When we collect your Personal Data:
We may collect your Personal Data through the following methods:
- Data collection forms, either in person via a tablet or on our website,
- Over the telephone,
- Via email,
- Through our online chat function,
- Your registration at a university event/stand,
- From your business card when handed to university staff
- When passed from our representatives overseas
What Personal Data are we collecting:
Where necessary, we may collect and store the following information about you:
- Contact information (such as address, postcode, phone number, email address, social handle)
- Date of birth
- Nationality and/or country of residence
- Your activities in preparation for Higher Education, e.g. attendance at events and workshops
- Your communication preferences
- Your study preferences, including subject and level of interest
- Survey result feedback
- Any questions you have asked or other personal details you have shared with us
- Details of parents’ education and occupation
How your information will be used:
In order for us to provide a service to you, such as answering your enquiry, sending you an ordered publication, registering you at an event it will be ‘processed/used’ in the following ways:
- To identify you when necessary.
- The production of statistics, you will not be identifiable through these statistics, and no decisions will be made about you as an outcome of the statistics, details of parental education and/or occupation will be used in this way.
- Organising events and workshops, including registration, to ensure that we can meet your needs at the event.
- To send you communications and updates about the serviceyou have requested, e.g. registration on an event.
- To analyse the impact of events/workshops on the promotion of further and higher education.
- Tracking future outcome of event participants, including application to the university and in some instances into other Higher Education institutions.
- We consider the processing of your data (and sharing your data with the third parties listed below), in this instance, necessary for the performance of our task carried out in the public interest, i.e. running events and raising awareness of further and higher education options, as a university.
What Special Category Data are we collecting:
In some instances, such as registering you for an event or activity, we will need to collect information about any accessibility requirements you have. This information will only be used to ensure we can accommodate any specific requirements you may have during your participation in our activity(ies).
We may collect and store the following information about you:
- Information about your accessibility requirements
- To ensure we can accommodate your specific requirements during your engagement with our activity
We are relying on your explicit consent, gained via email or by your signing our data collection form, in order to carry out the processing of your Special Category Data.
Who your Personal Data will be shared with:
We have a list of approved suppliers with whom we will share your data with, when necessary. This list includes:
- Fulfilment Houses – e.g. when we send you a prospectus
- Stored in our Customer Relationship Management Software
- Survey Software Company
- Market Research Company when we are undertaking a survey
- Higher Education Access Tracker (HEAT)
How long we will keep your data:
We will keep your data for a period of five years after your last engagement with us, after which it will be deleted or anonymised. Where consent for longitudinal tracking has been given (research into access to Higher Education carried out by HEAT), the following timeframes apply:
- Until the end of the academic year in which you reach the age of 30 (or, if you are a mature student, for 10 years from the point you provideit);
- If you enter Higher Education within this time, until 15 years after you graduate.
We offer the following rights to you in respect of your personal data:
You can request access to, or copies of, the personal data that we hold of you. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us using the contact details given below.
- If you believe that any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us using any of the contact details given below as soon as possible. We will take steps to seek to correct or update any information if we are satisfied that the information we hold is inaccurate;
- You can object to how we process your personal data;
- You can request that your personal data be deleted, where it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it is being processed and provided there is no other lawful basis for which we may continue to process such information;
- You can withdraw any consent given to processing (this will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal); or
- You can request that we restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances when required by law.
- You can request the transfer of your data to another party.
- You can lodge a complaint, we will try to resolve any concerns you may have. However, if you consider that we are in breach of our obligations under data protection laws, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights as described above (or if you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or concerns about our dealings with your Personal Data), please contact the data protection Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Updates to this Privacy Notice:
UCA may change this Privacy Notice from time to time in order to reflect changes in the law and/or its privacy practices. When this happens and where UCA is required to do so by law, it will provide you with a new and/or updated Privacy Notice detailing how the use of your Personal Data is changing and, if necessary, obtaining your consent for the further Processing, as may be applicable.
Version 2 - Last updated: 11 January 2022