University for the Creative Arts
Marketing, Student Recruitment & Engagement Department
This privacy notice sets out how the University for the Creative Arts (the ‘University’) complies with European Union General Data Protection Regulations and how it uses and protects any personal information that you provide when you use this website and interact with the University. If you have any questions about this policy or do not agree with it, please contact the University at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University may change this policy, from time to time, by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure you are happy with any changes.
For your protection, the University is registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 and has given all appropriate notifications to the Information Commissioner.
Note: For the purposes of this Privacy Notice,
“you” or “your” means an individual who has graduated from the University for the Creative Arts
“we”, “us”, “our” or “University“ means the University for the Creative Arts
“personal data” or “data” means your personal identification information that you have given us or we have collected.
“special personal data” means specific sensitive data which we give more protection
When we collect your personal data
We may collect your personal data through the following methods:
- Data collection forms, either in person via a tablet or on our website
- Over the telephone
- Via email
- Through our online chat function
- Your registration at a university event/stand
- From your business card when handed to university staff
- When passed from our representatives overseas
- When passed on from your current school or college
- Via postal communication
What personal data are we collecting
Where necessary, we may collect and store the following information about you:
- Biographic information including names, titles, gender, date of birth, contact details, social media handles
- Date of birth
- Nationality and/or country of residence
- Your activities in preparation for higher education, e.g. attendance at events and workshops
- Your communication preferences
- Your study preferences, including subject and level of interest
- Survey result feedback
- Any questions you have asked or other personal details you have shared with us
- Education history from your time at UCA and information about activities you were involved in (e.g. clubs and societies, prizes, scholarships)
- Employment details, employment history and biographies
- Current social and recreational interests
- Partner/Spouse, family and other relationships
- Records of communications with and from the University
- Registration, booking details and attendance at events and for volunteering opportunities
- Appended Information from publicly available sources and extracts from media stories
- Information about your wealth
- Communication preferences
- Information you have chosen to share with us via online services such as LinkedIn, and Facebook
How your information will be used
In order for us to provide a service to you, such as answering your enquiry, sending you an ordered publication, registering you at an event it will be ‘processed/used’ in the following ways:
- To identify you when necessary.
- To answer your enquiry.
- To send you any requested materials, such as a prospectus.
- To register you for an event and manage your booking.
- The production of statistics, you will not be identifiable through these statistics, and no decisions will be made about you as an outcome of the statistics.
- Organising events, conferences and workshops, including registration, to ensure that we can meet your needs at the event, and including communications about the event.
- To analyse the impact of events/workshops on the promotion of further and higher education.
Special Personal Data
In some instances, such as registering for an event or activity, we will need to collect information about any accessibility requirements you have. This information will only be used to ensure we can accommodate any specific requirements you may have during your participation in our activity(ies).
We are relying on your explicit consent, gained via email or by your signing our data collection form, in order to carry out the processing of your special personal data.
Who your personal data will be shared with
We have a list of approved suppliers with whom we will share your data, when necessary. This list includes:
- Fulfilment Houses – e.g. when we send you a prospectus
- Stored in our Customer Relationship Management Software
- Survey Software Company
- Contracted Third-Party Organisations acting on behalf of UCA.
How long we will keep your data & keeping your information up to date
Where possible we use publicly available sources to keep your records up to date; for example, we update information from Royal Mail address files, BT phone directories, reviewing job information that you have made available on LinkedIn, newspaper articles, company websites and other publically available sources.
UCA considers the relationship with our alumni and friends to be lifelong. This means that we will maintain a stakeholder record for you until such time you tell us that you no longer wish us to keep in touch. In this instance we will delete the majority of your personal data but maintain basic personal data to ensure we do not inadvertently create a new record in the future.
We really appreciate it if you let us know when your contact details change.
We offer the following rights to you in respect of your personal data:
- You can request access to, or copies of, the personal data that we hold of you. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us using the contact details given below.
- If you believe that any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us using any of the contact details given below as soon as possible. We will take steps to seek to correct or update any information if we are satisfied that the information we hold is inaccurate;
- You can object to how we process your personal data;
- You can request that your personal data be deleted, where it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it is being processed and provided there is no other lawful basis for which we may continue to process such information;
- You can withdraw any consent given to processing (this will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal); or
- You can request that we restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances when required by law.
You can lodge a complaint, we will try to resolve any concerns you may have. However, if you consider that we are in breach of our obligations under data protection laws, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your habitual residence or place of work. In the U.K., you may lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/).
If you would like to exercise any of your rights as described above (or if you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or concerns about our dealings with your Personal Data), please contact the Data Protection Office at email@example.com
Changes to this notice
We will use your e-mail address to inform you of changes to this notice.
Version 1 - last updated 24 May 2018