UCA HEON Privacy Notice
University for the Creative Arts
Marketing, Student Recruitment & Engagement Department
Privacy Notice: University for the Creative Arts (UCA) and the Higher Education Outreach Network (HEON)
Note: For the purposes of this Privacy Notice,
“you” or “your” means an individual who is interested in the University’s courses or events, or Higher Education generally.
“we”, “us” or “our” means the University for the Creative Arts and the Higher Education Outreach Network.
“University“ means the University for the Creative Arts.
“Personal Data” or “data” means your personal identification information that you have given us or which we have collected.
“Special Category Data” means specific sensitive data which we give more protection
What is this Privacy Notice for?
When you take part in activities provided by the University for the Creative Arts (UCA) via the Higher Education Outreach Network (HEON) programme, UCA and HEON will collect your data for various reasons, listed below. This privacy notice lets you know how we collect, process, and use your data. By agreeing to this privacy notice you give consent for your data to be collected, processed and used by UCA and HEON.
As per UK data protection legislation HEON and UCA are legally responsible for the Personal Data we collect and hold about you. One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your Personal Data. This statement provides details about these uses.
Personal Data is data relating to a living individual who can be identified from that data or from that data and other information in UCA or HEON’s possession. It includes data such as name, address, id number etc. Special Category Personal Data is defined in the Data Protection Act and is data relating to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, health and sex life
What is UCA?
UCA is a specialist creative university providing pre-degree, undergraduate and postgraduate education.
What is HEON?
The Higher Education Outreach Network (HEON) is a partnership of 9 educational partners (University of Surrey; Royal Holloway; University for the Creative Arts; NESCOT; Guildford College; Farnborough College of Technology, University of Law, Brooklands College, The Academy of Contemporary Music), and 2 other partners (Surrey County Council, and the Surrey Sports Park) working together as part of the Uni Connect programme to support the government’s aims of increasing participation of underrepresented groups in Higher Education.
Nationally, this work falls under the banner of the Uni Connect Programme, an Office for Students (OfS)-funded project aimed at promoting social mobility by improving access to Higher Education for young people from under-represented backgrounds. You can find out more about the HEON Uni Connect project here Higher Education Outreach Network (HEON)
What Personal Data are we collecting?
HEON and UCA collect only the data we need and we keep that data up to date. We collect data from students or their parents themselves through paper or digital demographic forms and application forms. These forms will always explicitly state the reason for the data being requested and also ask for you to provide consent for its use.
We may also collect your Personal Data by telephone, email or your registration at a related event.
Where necessary, we may collect and store the following information about you:
- Contact information (such as address, postcode, phone number, email address
- Date of birth
- Details of your current education, including your school or college, year group and teacher
- Your gender
- Your dietary requirements
- Nationality and/or country of residence
- Your activities in preparation for Higher Education, e.g. attendance at events and workshops
- Your communication preferences
- Your study preferences, including subject and level of interest
- Survey result feedback
- Any questions you have asked or other personal details you have shared with us
- Details of your parent’s / legal guardians' name and contact information (phone number, email address, relationship to you)
- Details of parent’s / legal guardians' education and occupation
- Details of an emergency contact for you when attending an on-campus event e.g. Holiday Clubs. These details include emergency contact’s name and contact information (phone number, email address, relationship to you).
UCA and HEON process / use your data in different ways:
a) How your information will be used by the University for the Creative Arts
In order for us to provide a service to you, such as answering your enquiry or registering you at an event it will be ‘processed/used’ in the following ways:
- To identify you when necessary.
- To enter you into our competitions/quizzes and let you know if you’ve won.
- In the production of statistics - you will not be identifiable through these statistics. Details of parental education and/or occupation will also be used to produce similar statistics and you and/or your parent/guardian(s) will not be identifiable through these statistics.
- For the purpose of contextualised admissions where we want to improve inclusivity, the University may use this data to inform and support its decision making process.
- Organising events and workshops, including registration, to ensure that we can meet your needs at the event.
- To send you communications and updates about the service you have requested, e.g. registration on an event.
- To analyse the impact of events/workshops on the promotion of Further and Higher Education.
- Tracking future outcome of event participants, including application to the university and in some instances into other Higher Education institutions.
- We consider the processing of your data (and sharing your data with the third parties listed below), in this instance, necessary for the performance of our public task, i.e. running events and raising awareness of Further and Higher Education options, as a university.
b) How your data will be used by HEON
HEON needs to process certain Personal Data for a number of purposes:
- To process your application for/participation in an outreach activity
- To administer the outreach activity in which you participate
- To inform you of outreach activities or events that may be of interest to you
- To help determine whether our activities are helping participants move on from school into Further Education, Higher Education and employment
- To publish anonymised reports that do not identify individuals for reporting purposes
- To track young persons’ journeys from school to Higher Education as part of a longitudinal study.
- Within HEON, Personal Data, including Special Category Data may be shared between colleagues who legitimately need the information to carry out their normal duties to support the data subject during our programme of activities.
Special Category Data
We may collect and store the following information about you:
- Your ethnicity, ethnic group or ethnic background.
- Information regarding your health, disability status, access or special learning requirements, or status as a care experienced or looked after young person.
We are relying on your explicit consent, gained via email or by your signing our data collection form, in order to carry out the processing of your Special Category Data.
Your Special Category Data will be used in the following way:
- Information about your accessibility, special requirements or status is used to ensure we can accommodate your specific requirements during your engagement with our activity. This information will be treated sensitively with the purpose of ensuring your comfort and safety during the activity.
- Any sensitive information about yourself, such as your ethnicity, health/disability status, may be used for research purposes and for equalities monitoring.
How do we share data with third parties?
Your data may be shared with the Higher Education Tracker (HEAT) Office for Students (OfS), CFE Research, Higher Education Statistics Agency, or the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). It will also be shared with partners in the HEON programme. Also, in order for us to provide activities, we may need to co-ordinate with your school/college and notify them that you have taken part by sharing limited information (such as your name) on an ad-hoc basis. The project and its partners will not use your record in a way that would affect you individually. We will not release data to anyone who is unauthorised.
Higher Education Access Tracker (HEAT) – http://heat.ac.uk/
HEON partners with HEAT to help determine whether our activities are helping participants move on from school into Further Education, Higher Education and employment it is important that we collect information about the students who take part in them.
We use the HEAT service and database (www.heat.ac.uk) to record information about our outreach activities and the students who take part in these activities. HEAT gives us the ability to track the educational journey of our outreach participants into university and beyond into employment. To find out more about how HEAT does this please go to https://heat.ac.uk/data-protection.
Personal identifiable data is only shared with HEAT with your consent.
CFE Research – http://cfe.org.uk/
CFE Research has been commissioned by the Office for Students to evaluate the overall impact of the Uni Connect. CFE will be collecting their own data, and using data collected by HEON and HEAT to carry out this evaluation.
The Office for Students (OfS) (https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/)
HEON will provide regular reports to OfS on the effectiveness of the programme. This data will be summarised in reports and will be shared anonymously.
HEON may share Personal Data, including Special Category Data, outside of the partnership in certain other exceptional circumstances, for example if it is needed to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another person; or for certain other reasons where it is not possible or appropriate to gain your consent such as disclosures to the police for prevention or detection of crime and apprehension or prosecution of offenders, if it is required by a Court Order, or to obtain legal advice.
UCA have a list of approved suppliers with whom we will share your data with, when necessary, this list includes:
- Stored in our Customer Relationship Management Software
- Survey Software Company
- Market Research Company when we are undertaking a survey
- The Higher Education Access Tracker (HEAT).
How long we will keep the original data:
UCA will keep your data for a period of five years after your last engagement with us, after which it will be deleted or anonymised.
HEON will retained your data for 2 years after the close of the programme or until 25 years of age (whichever comes first). After this time, your data will be anonymised and identifiable data securely deleted.
Your rights for data use and storage by the University for the Creative Arts:
You have the right to ask HEON or UCA whether we hold your personal information and to see a copy of this information. If you would like to submit a subject access request, please contact HEON at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance or UCA at email@example.com.
We offer the following rights to you in respect of your Personal Data:
- You can request access to, or copies of, the Personal Data that we hold of you. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us using the contact details given above.
- If you believe that any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us using any of the contact details given below as soon as possible. We will take steps to seek to correct or update any information if we are satisfied that the information we hold is inaccurate;
- You can object to how we process your Personal Data;
- You can request that your Personal Data be deleted, where it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it is being processed and provided there is no other lawful basis for which we may continue to process such information;
- You can withdraw any consent given to processing (this will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal);or
- You can request that we restrict the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances when required by law.
- You can request the transfer of your data to another party.
- You can lodge a complaint, we will try to resolve any concerns you may have. However, if you consider that we are in breach of our obligations under data protection laws, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
UCA may change this Privacy Notice from time to time in order to reflect changes in the law and/or its privacy practices. When this happens and where UCA is required to do so by law, it will provide you with a new and/or updated Privacy Notice detailing how the use of your Personal Data is changing and, if necessary, obtaining your consent for the further Processing, as may be applicable.
Version 2 – 11 January 2022