Study at UCA from a partner institution

If you are studying at one of our exchange partner institutions, we'd love to receive an application from you to be an exchange student at UCA.

UCA is a specialist university with over 150 years of experience in supporting and developing creative arts students. On our courses you have access to the latest industry-standard facilities. You'll also find that our unique student communities share and inspire one another in creative disciplines.

If your home institution does not have a formal exchange partnership agreement with UCA, please see our Study Abroad page where you can find out how to apply to study abroad with us.

Find out if you are eligible and how to make an application

  • Eligibility

    You can join our exchange programme if:

    • There is a valid exchange agreement between your university and the UCA, in your area of study. Please visit the partner institutions page to see the list of institutions partnered with UCA for exchanges. If your home institution does not have a formal exchange partnership agreement with UCA, then please see our Study Abroad page where you can find out how to apply to study abroad with us
    • Your university officially nominates you to study at UCA by the deadline.
  • Entry requirements


    You should have completed at least the first year of a university degree in a relevant subject area to the course delivered at UCA. To see a list of the courses and units available to exchange students please check the Course catalogue.

    Course Pre-requisites

    If you are applying to the course BA (Hons) Animation to do the module FANI5003 Short Film you must already be competent in the following software:

    - for CG films - Maya
    - for stopframe films - Dragonframe
    - for drawn or 2D films - AfterEffects, TV Paint &/or Photoshop

    This module does not have any technical workshops attached to it. 

    English Language

    If English is not your first language, a qualification is required as evidence that you have the necessary level of English language to succeed on your chosen course. We can accept the following qualifications:

    • IELTS: 6.0 or above (with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component)
    • Pearson PTE Academic: 54 or above (with a minimum of 51 in each individual component)
    • TOEFL 72 or above (with at least 17 in Listening, 18 in Reading, 20 in Speaking and 17 in Writing)
    • Cambridge English: Proficiency - pass at grade C or above
    • Cambridge English: Advanced - pass at grade C or above
    • International Baccalaureate Higher Level English language at grade 4 or above

    Please note that your English language qualification must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your exchange period. We would expect you to submit your English language qualification with your application by the deadline given.

    We can also accept the English language components of selected European qualifications - to see a complete list please click here.

  • What can I study?

    Exchange periods usually last one term (3-5 months) and most undergraduate visiting exchange students join the second year of our undergraduate courses for one term (either autumn or spring).

    It is not possible to do third year units or combine courses and you can only choose modules from one course.

    To find a complete list of the courses and units available to exchange students please go to the Course Catalogue.

    This list may be subject to change so please contact us at to check availability.

  • How do I apply?

    Before submitting an application online, your home university should send your nomination by email to with the following supporting documents:

    • Scanned copy of passport (front cover and photo page)
    • First year university results transcript
    • English language qualification certificate

    You should then make an online application. Go to the Course Catalogue to find the course you would like to apply for and click on the link underneath the course name.

    You can upload your portfolio using our Portfolio Upload task on our Applicant Portal after you have submitted your application. We will email you with full instructions on how to do this. 

    Please note - we do not accept paper portfolios or portfolios on CDs. You must provide your portfolio electronically. 

  • Application deadlines

    To study at UCA in the Autumn term (starting in September): 15th April

    To study at UCA in the Spring term (starting in January): 15th October

    Please note - the start and end date of your exchange may vary from course to course - exact start and end dates will be confirmed in your offer email if your application is successful.

  • How much does it cost?

    You are not expected to pay tuition fees to UCA, as it is normal for exchange students to pay fees to their home institution and not their host institution.

    You are expected to pay for your living expenses (e.g. accommodation, travel costs, etc.).

  • Visas

    If you are a national from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you will need a short term study visa for your exchange, and you should apply for this before you leave your home country.

    The visa pages on the GOV.UK website can help you determine whether you need to obtain a visa before you travel to the UK and we will provide more detailed information about the rules and requirements for student visitor visas if we offer you an exchange place.

    Please contact us on if you have any questions.

  • Accommodation


    Starting a new course can feel a little strange at first, particularly if you’re moving away from home for the first time, but we’ll do everything we can to make you feel right at home. From the moment you arrive here, you’ll be part of a diverse and tight-knit creative community.

    It’s really important that you find the right accommodation for you, so that it suits your needs in every way. Choose from campus halls of residence, privately rented flats and houses or local lodgings.

    Campus halls of residence

    We have halls of residence at each of our campuses – some located on-campus, some close by.

    Our halls are all self-catering, and you’ll have your own study bedroom with a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, and blinds or curtains. Bring your own personal possessions to make the place feel homely. All bedrooms and shared areas are heated, and each house or flat has a shared kitchen/ dining area. You’ll need to bring your own pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, kitchen utensils, tea towels, towels, sheets, pillows and a duvet (and cover) or blankets.

    All internal shared areas are cleaned once a week, although you’re responsible for cleaning your own room (and en-suite bathroom if you have one). We provide 20mbps internet access in all bedrooms and shared areas – the cost is included in your residence fees.

    Safe & accessible

    We want you and your family to know that you and your belongings are in safe hands in our halls of residence. If you do have an emergency, all our halls have trained Student Wardens on duty overnight and during weekends and holidays.

    We provide basic contents insurance for all residents living in our halls through Endsleigh Insurance – we’ll give you the details of the policy during your online induction. You can pay more for enhanced cover at any time.

    Each campus has a number of bedrooms that are wheelchair accessible and we’ll make reasonable adjustments to modify accommodation to suit particular needs. We operate a no smoking policy in all our residences and buildings.

    How to apply

    We offer rooms to as many international students who want to live in university accommodation as we can, however exchange students are not guaranteed a place. From March 2019, if you’ve firmly accepted an offer from us, you can apply for UCA accommodation through the Applicant Portal. It’s best to apply for accommodation as soon as possible to have the best chance of getting the type of accommodation you’d like. If you’ve been successful in your application, you’ll be able to view and accept your Accommodation Agreement through our online system.

    Find out more about halls of residence and private accommodation, including how much you can expect to pay here

Course catalogue

To find a complete list of the courses and units available to exchange students please go to the Course Catalogue.

Any other questions?

Please contact us at