Third parties

Employer references

Employers seeking educational references for current or former students must contact the University's Student Records team via the email address given below.

You need to provide a hand signed consent form from the student. Without this Student Records will not be able to complete your request. Digital signatures will not be accepted.

Due to the data protection act, the consent form needs to explicitly state that the student gives permission for the University to release information to the company requiring the reference. Ideally, the consent form should follow the below example.

I, [Full legal name] give permission for University for the Creative Arts to release my attendance and certification information to [company name].

[Hand signature] [Date]

Along with this consent form you must also supply:

  • The student's full name.
  • Their date of birth.
  • The course they studied
  • The year they graduated (or expected end date if they are a current student).

To request an educational reference please email

(Please note that an educational reference confirms dates of attendance and any final awards only. It does not confirm the (ex) student's character or eligibility for employment, a character reference will be required in this case)

For academic/character references (e.g. a more personalised description of the student's personality and attitude to work, usually written by a member of academic staff who knows the student), please email the relevant Campus Registry: