Finding and Applying for Funding
Preparing a research funding application can be complex and time consuming.
Contact us as soon as you start planning one. The earlier we know, the more help we can give.
You can use the Pre-Grant Application online form to let us know what you are considering
The Research Office sends out monthly bulletin of forthcoming calls and has also compiled an excel list of Arts Funders - both big and small Excel list Arts Funders.
There is also and External Grant open group on UCA Workplace. If you have any funds or calls that we have not included - please do let us know.
General Guidance on Impact and Pathways to Impact
FAST TRACK IMPACT website
This website created by Professor Mark Reed has a wealth of information, resources and online training in Impact.
Since March 2020, UKRI and its Research Councils no longer require Pathways to Impact and Impact Summaries in research proposals. However they still require impact in the proposal. Here is more inforamtion from Prof Mark Reed on How to integrate impact into a UKRI case for support
For any further support in finding funds pleae contact the Research Office - External Grants Developer Tracy Crowther
Other Webinars - LinkedIn
Costing, Approvals and Submission
Costing a proposal and making sure you give the funder all the information they need
Staff Costs at Full Economic Costing (FEC)
The UCA pay modeller allows you to calculate the staff cost for yourself and any additional staff for your research proposal.
It will include total costs including all on costs (NI and superannuation) and allow you to see these costs related to the amount of time you want to commit to the project.
We do have a UCA Pay modeller – to calculate staff costs at FEC and estimate time on project. If you would like a copy please contact Tracy Crowther
Directly Incurred Costs
Includes such things as salary cost of research assistant, technician, project manager, equipment, consumables specific to the project, travel and subsistence, external consultancy Fees, recruitment advertising, survey costs, evaluations costs etc
Key Travel for travel and subsistence estimates Login
Estates and Indirect Costs UKRI Calculation formula These costs are important as they ensure that the University has support to enable research activities to be carried out. These costs replace the previous 'overhead' charge that was applied to research projects.
Authorisation of Research Grants and Contracts.
All projects that have funds that will go through UCA Finance need approval by the Head of School.
All Fellowship applications require approval from the Head of School and often require a letter of approval from UCA.
Projects developed over £50,000 require approval from the Research Office and PVC.
Please complete the External Funding Authorisation Application form (either word version or online) at least 5 days before submission of bid to ensure UCA authorisation.
External Funding Authorisation Application Form - word version
External Funding Authorisation Application Form - online version
Please check out the Research Ethics page
Different funders have different approval and submission processes, many of which require approval from the university research office. Please make sure you know these processes and complete these before the deadline.
External Grants Checklist All submitted external grants must be listed on the UCA External Grants Register.
For help with costings, approvals and submission - please contact the Research Office External Funds Developer
Guidance and Feedback
Getting constructive feedback on your funding application before submitting it greatly increases your chances of success. We are developing a University’s Peer Review Group, but any feedback from your own colleagues, family and friends is always valuable.
Peer Review Group
New Call - Membership is open to any academic with relevant experience in external grants.
Members will be expected to review no more than 5 applications annually.
If you would like to be involved in peer review – please email the Research Office
In the future we are keen to develop our external grants expertise and to set up mock panels, writing workshops, and masterclasses.
Managing your award
As soon as you receive notification of the award, please send to the External Grant Developer at the Research Office
- the notification of the award, and any unsigned contracts/agreements.
- A copy of your application (if we do not already have it), including details of the costs of the project by category
- Confirmation of your start date.
We will then set up a form to request a new Agresso project code which include:
- the investigator(s) name
- the funder
- start and end dates
- the budget.
The Agresso project code request form will be used to set up a specific account code for the project in our financial system, Agresso.
The code is made up of:
- a 3 digit number for your school;
- a 5 digit number for your project.
We will send you copies of the project code, together with the terms and conditions (or ‘contract’) for the project. We will also send these to your Head of School.
Other Considerations and Useful Links
- Getting approval for and appointing staff
- Making the most of your intellectual property
- Post-Award Finance - How to spend your grant
The financial reports you will receive
- Reporting on your award
- Research ethics and governance: if your research involves working with humans or animals you have specific legal and moral obligations to them.
- Impact and public engagement
- Open access: there is a strong current movement to allow outputs to be made free at the point of access, without firewalls or subscription. UCA Open Access
- UCA Quality Assurance Handbook includes due diligence process if partnership contracts are required with other institutions or international partners (See J1, J2 and J3).
Policies and Strategies
- UCA Research Strategy
- Research Excellence Framework
- Research Governance
Who Can Apply?
- For Round 1: staff on permanent academic contracts who are aligned to the Research Career Field. For Round 2: all staff on permanent academic contracts on condition that their proposal falls within the definition of research and they plan to move to the Research Field.
- All applications must have an identified principle applicant.
- Permanent staff who are not on an academic contract and sessional staff may not apply as a principle investigator, but can be part of a research centre or cluster which include at least one permanent academic member of staff in the Research field.
- Up to £5000 for Research Projects, Large & Complex Grant Preparation Fund Application Form
- Up to £500 for Conference Presentation Funds Application Form
- Sabbaticals Application Form
- Before you apply - please read this guidance Internal Research Fund Guidance
- Overseas Travel Authorisation – Applicants whose projects include an overseas trip, must submit an Overseas Travel Authorisation Form, with their research fund application.
- UCA Research Online Requirements – Staff who have received support from the university for a research project are required to submit their research outputs for that project to UCA Research Online
- Open Access Requirements -For help on using UCA Research Online, and for advice on how to comply with open access policy please contact Amy Robinson in Library and Student Services. UCA Open Access guide
Contact: Senior Research Officer Liz Baxter