To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- aged 16-18;
- be able to attend the full three-day programme
The aim of the Summer Schools is to provide an opportunity for young people to access free art & design tuition within a higher education environment to support them in the development of their portfolio of work. The Summer Schools are also designed for students who may not otherwise have the chance to access such an opportunity.
As such, priority will be given to applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Would be the first generation in their family to study at higher education level (e.g. Degree, HND, HNC)
- Are currently eligible for Free School Meals
- Come from a neighbourhood with low overall progression rates to higher education (determined by postcode using POLAR 3 data)
- Are from a black or minority ethnic (BAME) background
- Are in, or have lived under, local authority care
- Have caring responsibilities for a family member
- Have a disability
- Attend one of our eligible partnered schools in Kent or Surrey
- Have not previously attended a UCA Summer School programme.
Where specified, allocation will also be based on your personal statement, where we would like to see an evident passion for the subject and an interest in studying a creative subject at a higher level.
This information will be gathered via UCA’s Summer School programme application form and will be assessed by the University’s Schools Engagement & Outreach Manager and Collaborative Outreach Manager.
Once the application deadline has passed, we will consider all applications against the priority criteria listed above to determine who will be offered a place. A decision will be sent in writing to confirm whether a place on the programme has been secured, and successful applicants will be asked to confirm their place in writing. Where the programmes are oversubscribed, unplaced applicants who meet the criteria outlined above will be kept on a waiting list and allocated spaces should they become available.
If an applicant decides not to accept their offer, they must inform the Schools Engagement & Outreach Manager via email as soon as possible so spaces can be re-allocated where possible.