Financial support for Pre-degree courses

There is a range of funding options available to students studying a Pre-degree and Foundation Studies course at UCA.

As a Pre-degree and Foundation Studies student you are not able to apply for a student loan to cover your living expenses, but you may be able to apply for alternative types of funding, depending on your age and financial situation. If you are 19 or older when you begin your course you may be liable to pay a tuition fee. If you are eligible, the 19+ Advanced Learner Loan will cover the full amount of your fees.

More information about Pre-degree and Foundation Studies funding is listed below.

This information only applies to UK and EU students. If you’re an international student, you’ll need our international fees and finance pages.

Government support

19+ Advanced Learner Loan

If you’re aged 19 or older, you can apply for a government loan to help cover the tuition fees for your pre-degree course. The Learning and Funding Information Letter you require to apply for this loan will be sent to you via email once you have received an offer.

Care to Learn

If you’re under 20 years old and a parent, you can get help with the cost of childcare while you’re studying.


There are three bursaries available to help students from lower income families with course costs and travel expenses. A small number of residential bursaries are also available for students aged 16-18 who meet the eligibility criteria.

Students aged 16-18 who are themselves, or have a parent/carer or guardian in receipt of certain benefits, are able to apply for free meals. 

There are three different bursaries available depending on your age and situation and you apply for these bursaries directly to us. 

Further information and application forms for 2018/19 will be available on the website during the summer.

Help with travel costs

Travel saver schemes

There are a number of travel saver-schemes available to you during your further education studies, depending on where you choose to study.

For more information on travel options, check out your local authority website.

If you have applied for a Kent 16+ Travel Card and need to make a payment please e-mail (Rochester students) or (Canterbury students).

Advice and guidance

If you’re in any way confused about what you can apply for, please get in touch with one of our friendly specialist advisers. They can also direct you to a variety of specialist resources to help you deal with practical issues and personal problems.