Timetable the things you have to do:
- Part-time jobs and other commitments.
To ensure you meet all deadlines:
- Break down projects into small specific tasks.
- Prioritise tasks.
- Work out approximately how long each task will take. Be realistic!
- Fit all tasks into the timetable.
- Be aware of opening times and other student demands on University resources - factor this into your planning.
- Plan to finish your project well before hand in to allow time for final adjustments or problems that may arise.
- Allow time for relaxation.
- Be flexible - try to keep to your timetable, but make readjustments as necessary.
Keeping on track
- If you get a block, move on to a different task.
- If you are in need of help/advice, don't wait until you're running out of time.
Know how you work
- Think about what time of day you work most efficiently and build this into your timetable.
- Be realistic about what you can achieve in the time allotted.
- Your study might be more effective if you allow yourself breaks.
- Reward yourself on meeting deadlines - this may help to motivate you.
Time saving tips
- Try to rationalise your time by combining tasks: for example, when planning to visit the library, list all the jobs that can be done there.
- Make use of dead time: for example, reading on the train and jotting notes in a queue.
- Organise your material so that it does not get lost or damaged and can be accessed easily.