Using Turnitin with further education students
- Students are introduced to Turnitin by academic and academic support staff and shown a copy of the originality report during this introduction.
- Two Turnitin assignment areas are set up in the appropriate unit on myUCA in the first instance. The first assignment is Practice Essay Submission where students are able to submit a draft to Turnitin on the myUCA course page and obtain an originality report. No limit is set for how many drafts they submit. Each new submission overwrites the previous.
- The second assignment is Final Essay Submission where students submit the final draft to Turnitin on the myUCA course page and obtain the originality report. Students are asked to print out the first page of the originality report and submit this with the hard copy version.
Using Turnitin with undergraduate students
Process for UG students in stage 1 and 2:
- Students are introduced to Turnitin by academic and academic support staff and shown a copy of an originality report.
- For each written assignment, a Turnitin area is set up in the appropriate unit on myUCA. Students must submit an electronic copy of their work to this area.
- Staff receive and mark the paper copy of the student's work. If there are any doubts as to the academic integrity of the written work, staff should view the originality report in Turnitin to identify any suspected plagiarism.
Process for UG students in stage 3:
- Two Turnitin assignment areas are setup in the appropriate unit on myUCA.
- The first is the Draft Dissertation Submission where students submit a draft of their dissertation. They obtain one originality report on this draft which is then discussed formatively at the draft feedback tutorial.
- The second is the Final Dissertation Submission where students submit their final piece of work. Only the course tutor has access to these originality reports.
Using Turnitin with postgraduate students
- Students are introduced to Turnitin and the originality report by academic and academic support staff.
- Turnitin assignment areas are to be set up for all final written submissions (i.e. essay, research paper, critical paper/dissertation) on myUCA.
- At least one of these assignment areas should be for a draft submission (i.e. draft research submission or draft critical paper submission). Students will obtain one originality report on this draft which is then discussed formatively at the draft feedback tutorial.
Using Turnitin with research students
- At the applicant stage, all PhD proposals are to be passed through Turnitin. This will be a diagnostic stage to verify the academic integrity of the work submitted.
- All research students will have an introduction to Turnitin as part of the Research Induction Programme (with a more comprehensive session as part of the ARM).
- Three Turnitin assignments should be set up to test the different milestones on the PhD journey:
- Research Plan Approval stage
- Transfer to PhD stage
- First draft of the thesis