Suspected or confirmed cases of Coronavirus

Keeping track of suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 is crucial to making our campuses safe and friendly places – this page contains all you need to know about what to do if you feel unwell with coronavirus symptoms, have been in close contact with someone with coronavirus, and also outlines the university’s response to potential outbreaks.

Please reference our Procedure in the Event of a Suspected of Confirmed Case for detailed information.

  • How do I report a suspected or confirmed case or self-isolation?

    During the national lockdown we would still like students to report cases of Covid-19. You must contact Campus Registry via these e-mail addresses and also notify your Programme Director at the earliest opportunity:


  • What do I do if I start to feel unwell?

    If you become unwell with any of the symptoms of COVID-19 while on campus, you should do the following:

    • Go home immediately (avoiding public transport). 
    • Inform Campus Registry and your Programme Director at the earliest opportunity
    • Apply for a test if you are displaying symptoms. If you don’t have access to the internet, call NHS 119. Essential workers, which includes anyone involved in education or childcare, have priority access
    • Self-isolate as per government guidance, along with anyone in your household
    • In the event of a positive test, you should share your contacts with Test and Trace.
  • What happens if my test is negative?

    If you test negative but you have been in close contact with a confirmed case, you need to keep self-isolating for 14 days from when you were last in contact with that person. It can take a number of days for your symptoms to develop, even if your test was originally negative.

    If you haven’t been in close contact with a confirmed case and feel well, you can stop self-isolating, and everyone you live with can stop self-isolating too. Please contact Campus Registry of your result.

  • What happens if my test is positive?

    If your test comes back positive, you should follow the guidance for households with possible or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection and continue to self-isolate with members of your household. Please also inform your Campus Registry immediately. 

  • What do I do if someone I’ve been in close contact with develops symptoms?

    If you’ve been in close contact with someone who develops COVID-19 symptoms or who tests positive for the virus, you must self-isolate for 14 days from the date you were last in contact with that person. You should notify your Campus Registry and your Programme Director, at the earliest opportunity. People you live with do not need to self-isolate if you do not have symptoms.

  • How will the University support me if I’m self-isolating?

    We will stay in close communication with students in self-isolation and provide support to access essential supplies, as required. This will include working with you to plan an optimal way to continue your learning.

    You can find out more about how the university is supporting students by visiting our Support for Students section.

  • What happens if there’s an outbreak of COVID-19 on campus?

    Our campuses are currently closed but our Health, Safety & Wellbeing Team works closely with the local health protection team (HPT) and takes their advice in the event of positive cases.

    If multiple cases of coronavirus appear in the University, an outbreak control team from either the local authority or Public Health England will, if necessary, be assigned to help manage the outbreak. The University will keep students informed as any potential situation develops.

  • I’m in university halls – is there special advice for us to follow?

    All the information you’ll need is in our Accommodation section.

  • What happens during a lockdown?

    We follow government instructions, which is currently to deliver all teaching online. The following measures are being implemented:

    • Move learning and assessment online.
    • Ensure that learning outcomes are covered within the year of study, and adjust assessment tasks accordingly
    • Provide alternative assessment where assessment can’t be delivered as originally planned
    • Provide extensions for units where necessary to cover course content, and for individual students if their circumstances require it.