Catharine’s creative practice focuses on graphic communication, branding, design research methods, and drawn communication. Starting her career in illustration she studied at the Arts Institute Bournemouth followed by launching a design consultancy specialising in branding and illustration. Her clients include Lloyds Bank, ICI, Sunday Times, Random House, The World Wide Fund for Nature and Zenica.
Her work has been exhibited nationally and internationally at the Mall Galleries, Westminster Gallery, Chris Beadle Gallery and at the Norsk Farmasihistorisk Museum Oslo. Previous publications include writing and illustrating for books and magazines, “The Encyclopaedia of Illustration Techniques” “The Artists & Illustrators Magazine” and the BBC’s ”Radio Times”.
Her most recent publication explores her research into brand communication. “Creating a Brand Identity: A Guide for Designers”, Lawrence King 2016, is now published in six languages. Drawing on over 20 years of professional and teaching practice, the title is a journey through the complex world of brand communication its history, impact on today's consumer society, specialist research methodologies and insights into creative practice.
Catharine’s research activities cover three core areas of interest, learning and teaching in the visual arts, eastern visual culture and brand communication. She has received numerous research funding grants to support outputs ranging from conference papers, lectures and publications.
Her research in Learning and Teaching was awarded with a Teaching Fellowship from UCA in 2009. The outcomes from the Fellowship included defining methodologies that facilitate creativity and enhance learning, culminating in papers given at the British Library, Sussex University, The University of Surrey and The National Media Museum Bradford.
Her research practise explores Eastern cultural aesthetics and the visual language of East Asia, in particular China and Japan. The focus of this research explores the use of traditional symbolism in the design of graphics from these two cultures. Her research outcomes include a body of work used to underpin conference papers including Material Symphysis, Farnham April 2016, a jointly organised symposium by the University for the Creative Arts (UCA), UK and Tokyo University of the Arts (TUA), Japan and Craft and Text: Conference, July 9, 2018, Crafts Study Centre and the International Textile Research Centre.
- “Allusive Crafts: Drawing words, writing letters” Craft and Text: Conference, Crafts Study Centre and the International Textile Research Centre, UCA Farnham, July 9, 2018
- “Creating a Personal Brand Identity” Long Story Short: Young Creative Council, Creston Gt. Pulteney Street, Soho 25th May 2016
- “Hinterlands” Material Symphysis: Symposium, Farnham UCA 15th April 2016
- “SKY & UCA: A case study of collaboration, industry and education.” UCA Teaching and Learning Conference ” British Library January 2011
- “Curiosity, The Nature of Creativity” UCA Teaching and Learning Conference ” British Library January ’09
- “The Nature of Creativity” 2009 MeCCSA Conference at the National Media Museum, Bradford.
- “Creativity: accident or design?” Teaching and Learning Conference ” British Library January ’08
- “Languages Without Words” UCCA Ceramics symposium “Borrowing Heritage” October ’07
- “Re-branding Sky Movies News” Learning and Teaching Colloquium, UCCA June ’07
- “Creativity, accident or design?” Surrey University, “Learning for a Complex World” June ’07
- “Learning Cultures.” Master class Surrey University, “Learning for a Complex World” June ’07
- “Creative Leaning Cultures.” Sussex University, EU, LINKS Conference, June ’07
- “Languages Without Words” British Library, January ’07
- “Cultures and Design” Design Faculty Research Symposium, Surrey Institute of Art and Design June ’05
- “Cultural Design” ‘Through the Surface’ symposium, The Surrey Institute of Art and Design February ’04
- “Cultural Packaging” Faraday Partnership Conference, York October ’04
- Design education
- Graphic design
- Branding and identity
- Cross cultural issues in design
- Japanese and Chinese graphics
Professional Membership, Affiliation and Consultancy
- Fellow and member of the Higher Education Academy
- Educational Advisor to Good Nugget Ltd.
- Teaching Excellence Awards 97/98, 98/99, 2001/2, 2002/3 and 2007
- Teaching Fellowship Awards 2008/2009
- £5,000 learning and teaching fellowship award for research into the nature of creativity.