Professor Philip Powell
Philip was previously Executive Dean, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Enterprise and Innovation), and Professor of Management at Birkbeck, University of London and Dean of the Faculty of Business, Law and Politics at the University of Hull.
His research has resulted in over 350 published outputs in information systems, management, operations, and higher education management. He was Editor-in-Chief of the Information Systems Journal.
He has held an honorary chair in the University of Groningen, Netherlands since 2006 and has recently been appointed to an honorary chair at the University of Stirling and he holds an emeritus chair at Birkbeck, University of London.
Before becoming Dean at Birkbeck in 2009, Philip was deputy dean of the School of Management at the University of Bath having worked at Hull, Warwick, Adelaide, Southampton and Nova de Lisboa.
He is a Fellow of Birkbeck, of the British Computer Society, of the Academy of Social Sciences, of the Centre for Distance Education, of the HEA and is a Senior Scholar of the Association of Information Systems.
He was president of the UK Academy for Information Systems. Prior to becoming an academic, Philip worked in insurance, accounting and systems analysis.
He has served on a variety of public bodies concerned with skills development, enterprise and entrepreneurship and currently sits on the Institute for Apprenticeships Business and Management Route Panel.
Philip Powell is a socio-technical researcher concerned with surfacing and explaining difference. Much of this work has been undertaking in the information systems/information management domains and explores the differing outcomes in organisations employing new technologies. He has focused a lot of my work on small and medium-sized businesses.
He has also researched many aspects of ‘e-’, including e-enabled supply chains, e-auctions, hubs and infrastructure. He researches knowledge management, strategy and planning. More recently, he has focussed my work on the management of higher education at sector and institutional level, and on developing enterprise and entrepreneurial support.
Research Outputs and Activities
355 outputs comprising:
- 5 authored books
- 121 refereed journal papers (including 2 FT50 papers)
- 2 edited books
- 13 edited conference proceedings
- 50 book chapters
- 110 refereed conference proceedings
- 54 conference papers
- 22 PhD completions
22 successful PhD completions in the domains of information systems, information management, decision support systems, higher education management, e-business.
Professional Membership, Affiliation and Consultancy
- Honorary chairs: University of Groningen, Netherlands; University of Stirling, UK
- Emeritus chair: Birkbeck, University of London.
- Fellowships: Birkbeck, University of London; British Computer Society; Academy of Social Sciences; Centre for Distance Education; Higher Education Academy; Senior Scholar of the Association of Information Systems.
- Past President, UK Academy for Information Systems.
- Editor-in-Chief, Information Systems Journal. Serves on many other journal editorial boards
- Senior Board Advisor, Ovestis Capital Management