Outgoing exchange FAQs

  • What are the differences between Erasmus and International exchange?

    Erasmus exchange takes place in European countries and the international exchange takes place in countries outside Europe. The funding available is different for each option.

  • Can I go to any university abroad?

    No, you can only go to a university with which UCA has a prior agreement. Please see our  of the institutions available by campus and course.

  • Do I have to pay tuition fees?

    Because the duration of the exchange period is only one term or semester students pay standard fees at UCA and no fees at the host University.

  • How much will it cost?

    It is not possible to provide an estimate of how much it will cost as this depends on a number of factors. You will not have to pay any tuition fees to the host institution.  However, you will need to consider the following:

    - Accommodation
    - Travel costs
    - Insurance - additional medical insurance in some countries
    - Visa (if applicable)
    - Living expenses, eg food
    - Other costs, eg study books

    Some countries (eg the USA) require proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your time abroad. You will need to ensure you find out what the current requirements are and have proof that you have sufficient funds.

  • Is there a limit on the amount of students who can go to one institution?

    Yes, the University has agreed numbers of students which can be exchanged with all its partners. This means you may not be able to go to your first choice of university abroad. Some Universities are very popular and places tend to get filled very quickly, in cases when the declaration of interest in a particular university is higher than places available, only the candidates with the highest grades will be able to apply.

  • Will my place be guaranteed by applying?

    No, it will be subject to places available at the Universities you are applying for. We recommend to apply to two different Universities to have more chances. For more information please see our .

  • I can only speak English, can I still study abroad?

    Yes, but it will depend on the partner University you have chosen. Not all partner Universities teach in English so at the research phase you need to either contact the Study Abroad Coordinator at UCA or enquiry directly with the University.

    Whilst researching the appropriate destination, you should also consider choosing modules which meet your language ability, as some modules will be taught in a foreign language. When the medium of instructions is not English we would advise to have a minimum level of “Intermediate” in the language of study.

  • What happens with my student/maintenance loan?

    Studying abroad might have an impact on the amount you receive. Students are advised to liaise directly with their loan provider to find out the implications for their finances.

  • How long will I be studying abroad?

    The exact dates of the exchange vary, depending on each country. On average you should expect to be away around 4-5 months. It may be the case in some countries they start spring term later, e.g- in some European countries they start the spring term in March and finish in July.

  • Is any funding available and, if so, how do I apply for it?

    International exchange: Travel Grant via Student Finance England (only applicable to UK students on a student loan/maintenance with Student Finance England)

    If you are on any element of the means tested loan you are eligible for a higher loan rate and travel grant for costs exceeding £303, plus your visa costs and medical insurance from Student Finance England (SFE). For further details please visit the SFE website.


    Erasmus exchange: Erasmus grant via European Commission

    The Erasmus Programme is funded by the European Commission and provides a small grant to outgoing students. This grant is intended to help with any additional costs incurred with studying in another country. If your application is successful you will automatically be eligible to receive the Erasmus grant. UCA Study Abroad coordinator will help you finalise the Erasmus grant paperwork before your departure in order for you to receive the grant whilst abroad.

  • How much will the Erasmus grant be?

    The grant varies from year to year and from country to country.

    The grant is based on the number of months you will be studying abroad for. The Erasmus grant should help you with your living costs, however, it is not to be used as the main source of income to fund your exchange.

    In 2015/16, the maximum monthly grants are:

    €300 per month for study periods to:  Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Sweden

    €250 per month for study periods to: Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Lithuania, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Turkey

  • When will I get my grant?

    Once you have been accepted as an Erasmus student, you will be sent documentation related to your study period abroad. Your grant will be paid in pounds sterling, directly into your UK bank account, once you have returned certain items of documentation which will be provided to you before you leave. The first payment is normally made within the first month after arrival at the country destination. The second and last instalment is made after the end of the exchange subject to completion of the Erasmus survey.

  • What about accommodation?

    All our partner institutions are obliged to assist students in finding accommodation - this can range from arranging accommodation in student residences to simply providing you with a list of accommodation providers. You will be expected to arrange your accommodation yourself.

  • Who should I notify about my decision to go on exchange?

    You must keep UCA Study Abroad Coordinator and your Course Leader well informed of your decision to take part in the programme. They'll be able to provide you with important information regarding your visit as well as ensuring that you're clear about the work you'll have to undertake.

  • Do I need insurance?

    Once your place on the exchange programme is confirmed you should; consider personal accident cover and cover for your personal possessions consider medical insurance cover.

    If you're visiting a country in the European Union you should apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge. Apply for the card free of charge on the official EHIC website. Other, unofficial websites may charge you if you apply through them.

    If you're planning to study outside the European Union, email dbuxcey@uca.ac.uk  for insurance advice.

My Courses


Course level

Course title