Application information

Outgoing UCA study abroad students

Find out if you are eligible and how to make an an application.

  • Who can go?

    Undergraduate students enrolled in the second year of their degree course (except for students in the School of Craft & Design, who will have the option to complete an International Year. Please speak to your Course Leader or Study Abroad Co-ordinator). Application details for 2017-18 will be available shortly.

    Home, EU and International students are eligible*. Students from outside the EEA/EU or Switzerland will need to research their own visa requirements. 

    *International students in the school of Craft & Design should check eligibility for the International Year with your Course Leader and Study Abroad Co-ordinator.

  • When do I go?

    Exchanges tend to take place in your second year, during spring term. Students from BA (Hons) Film Production can only go on exchange in the autumn term. 

  • What academic requirements do I need to meet?

    55% average grade in your first year. If during your first term of your second year you fail a unit your application might be cancelled.

  • Where can I go?

    We have a range of partner institutions, but where you can study is dependent on the links your degree has with overseas institutions and is subject to approval from your Course Leader. The list for 2017-18 is not yet available. For the 2016-17 list of exchange partners click here. Please note the 2016-17 partner list is likely to change for 2017-18. 

  • Will the exchange be recognised as part of my degree?

    Yes, the credits earned abroad as part of your exchange programme will be transferred back to UCA (normally the equivalent to 60 UCA credits). However your exchange will only be awarded a "pass" or "fail" grade due to the difficulty of translating the grades used in different education systems. This means that the exchange will not count towards your final classification degree.

  • How do I apply?

    Application details for 2017-18 will be available shortly.

    Please see a provisional outline of the process below (please note this is provisional and is subject to change):

    STAGE 1- Submit application to the Study Abroad Office

    STAGE 2- Academic approval: The Study Abroad Office will check your final grades at the end of the academic year and you will receive an email notification stating whether you meet the academic criteria. 

    STAGE 3- Submit application to partner university: Once your application to the Study Abroad Office has been approved and your academic approval has been received, you will apply to the partner university you have been selected for. It is your responsibility to take ownership of the process and submit an application by the deadline to the relevant university. Typically the documents that most of the partner universities require are:

    • Portfolio
    • Personal Statement
    • Scanned copy of your passport photo page
    • Learning Agreement
    • International exchange only: Evidence of funds required specified by partner institution

    STAGE 4- Notification of outcome by partner university: It takes normally up to 4 weeks for the partner universities to process applications so bear in mind that you will find out if you have been accepted within 4 weeks (approx.) after the application deadline of your selected university.

  • How do I find out more?

    Help and advice about applying for an exchange is available, please contact the study abroad team for more information

Incoming exchange students

Find out if you are eligible and how to make an application.

  • Eligibility

    You can join our exchange programme if:

    • There is a valid agreement between your university and the University for the Creative Arts, in your area of study. Please visit the  to see our list of partner institutions. If your home institution does not have a formal partnership agreement with UCA, then unfortunately we cannot consider your application at this time.
    • Your university officially nominates you to study at University for the Creative arts by the deadline.
  • Entry requirements


    You should have completed at least the first year of a university degree in one of our  in a relevant subject area to the course delivered at UCA. To see a list of the courses and units available to exchange students please check the .

    Course Pre- Requisites

    If you are applying to the course BA (Hons) Animation to do the module FANI5003 Short Film you must already be competent in the following software:

    for CG films - Maya

    for stopframe films - Dragonframe

    for drawn or 2D films - AfterEffects, TV Paint &/or Photoshop

    This module does not have any technical workshops attached to it. 

    English Language

    As part of your second year studies at UCA, you are required to participate in contextual studies modules. Therefore, if English is not your first language, a qualification is required as evidence that you have the necessary level of English language to succeed on your chosen course. We can accept the following qualifications:

    • IELTS: 6.0 or above (with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component)
    • Pearson PTE Academic: 54 or above (with a minimum of 51 in each individual component)
    • TOEFL 72 or above (with at least 17 in Listening, 18 in Reading, 20 in Speaking and 17 in Writing)
    • Cambridge English: Proficiency - pass at grade C or above
    • Cambridge English: Advanced - pass at grade C or above
    • International Baccalaureate Higher Level English language at grade 4 or above

    Please note that your English language qualification must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your exchange period. We would expect you to submit your English language qualification with your application by the deadline given.

    We can also accept the English language components of selected European qualifications - to see a complete list please click here.

  • What can you study?

    Exchange periods usually last one term (3-5 months) and most undergraduate visiting exchange students join the second year of our undergraduate courses for one term (either autumn or spring).

    It is not possible to do third year units or combine courses and you can only choose modules from one course.

    To find a complete list of the courses and units available to exchange students please go to the course catalogue.

    This list may be subject to change so please contact us at to check availability.

  • How to apply?

    Before submitting an application online your home university should send your nomination by email to with the following supporting documents:

    • Scanned copy of passport (front cover and photo page)
    • First year university results transcript
    • English language qualification certificate

    You should then make an online application. Go to the course catalogue, find the course you would like to apply for and click on the link underneath the course name.

    You can upload your portfolio using our Portfolio Upload task on our Applicant Portal after you have submitted your application. We will email you with full instructions on how to do this. 

    Please note - we do not accept paper portfolios or portfolios on CDs. You must provide your portfolio electronically. 

  • Application deadlines
    • To study at UCA in the Autumn term (starting September 2017): 14th April 2017
    • To study at UCA in the Spring term (starting January 2018): 16th October 2017

    Please note - the start and end date of your exchange may vary from course to course - exact start and end dates will be confirmed in your offer if your application is successful.

  • Exchange fee information

    You are not expected to pay tuition fees to uca, as it is normal for exchange students to pay fees to their home institution and not their host institution; however you are expected to pay for your living expenses, e.g. accommodation, travel costs, etc.

  • Visas

    If you are a national from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you will need a short term study visa for your exchange, and you should apply for this before you leave your home country.

    The visas pages on the GOV.UK website can help you determine whether you need to obtain a visa before you travel to the UK and we will provide more detailed information about the rules and requirements for student visitor visas if we offer you an exchange place.

    Please contact us on if you have any questions.

Any other questions?

Please contact us at

My Courses


Course level

Course title