As one of the largest specialist creative arts universities in Europe, we offer a truly global perspective in creative education, with 17 per cent of our students coming to study with us from overseas. We have a diverse international community that welcomes students from 91 nations from all over the world.

Information for applicants

We have a global reputation for being amongst the largest specialist creative arts educators in Europe. Discover why international students get ahead in the creative industries with a qualification from UCA.

If you are applying for a pre-degree or postgraduate course, you should apply directly to us using UCA’s online application form for your chosen courseIf you are applying for postgraduate research you should apply directly to us using the research proposal form.

If you are applying for a full-time undergraduate course, you can either apply to us directly or through UCAS. If you are only applying to UCA we would recommend that you apply direct to us. If you are applying to more than one university in the UK, please apply through UCAS. You can find out more about our courses by taking a look at our Study at UCA page.

For more information about studying at UCA as an international student you can also take a look at our International study page.


We will consider equivalent qualifications from your home country for entry onto our Foundation, Bachelor’s and Master’s courses. Please see below for details of the accepted qualifications (including English language qualifications) for each level of course. Each application we receive is considered individually and therefore these qualifications are provided as a guide.

For our International Foundation in Art, Design and Media, we usually require that you have:

  • 12 completed years of Japanese High School (Upper Secondary Leaving Certificate) with average grade of 3.0/5.0 or higher


For our Bachelor's courses, we usually require that you have one of the following:

  • Japanese Associate degree 
  • a transcript showing successful completion of year 1 of a Bachelor's degree from a recognised Japanese university with average score of 70%




For our Master's courses, we usually require that you have:

  • Bachelor's degree with grade B or 75% average from a recognised Japanese university.


English Language requirements:

  • Satisfactory IELTS scores are required. Please check here for the scores required for your course.


As well as academic qualifications, some of our courses require a portfolio of work or audition piece. You can find out more about specific requirements on the entry requirements section of each individual course page; take a look at our courses page to see all available courses. If you are not sure if you have the necessary qualifications for the course you wish to take, please get in touch with our Admissions team with scanned copies of your qualifications – they will be able to advise you further.


Our local representatives can assist you with putting together your application, applying for visas and helping you to prepare for your move to the UK.

You can also take a look at the British Council contacts in Japan below.


5th floor, Forecast Shinjuku South Bldg.
4-3-17 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku
Tokyo, 160-0022
〒160-0022 東京都新宿区新宿4-3-17 FORECAST新宿SOUTH 5階
Phone: +81 3 5367 3315
Email: study@beo.jp
Website: www.beo.jp

SI-UK Education Council
5th Floor, Boulevard Bldg, Jinnan 1-16-3, Shibuya, Tokyo 150-0041
150-0041東京都渋谷区神南1丁目16-3 ブルヴァールビル5F
Phone: 03-5272-9143
Email: tokyo@ukeducation.jp
Website: www.ukeducation.jp


SI-UK Education Council
2F Nissei Building East, 2-2-13 Shibata, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-001
Phone: +81 6 6147-5681
Email: osaka@ukeducation.jp
Website: www.ukeducation.jp

3rd floor Inoi Building 2,
2-9-19 Shibata, Kita-ku,
Osaka, 530-0012, Japan
〒530-0012 大阪府大阪市北区芝田2-9-19 イノイ第二ビル3階
Phone: +81 6 6371 1116
Email: osaka@beo.jp
Website: www.beo.jp

British Council contacts in Japan

General phone enquiries (Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri 9:30-17:00)
+81 (0)3 3235 8031

English Schools (Tue-Fri 9:30-20:30, Sat&Sun 9:30-17:00)
+81 (0)3 3235 8011

+81 (0)3 3235 8040

The British Council in Japan can be found via http://www.britishcouncil.jp/

If you need a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK, you can find a range of useful information on our Visas & immigration page, including guidance on how to apply, the documents you will need to provide and the costs.

Our International Pre-departure guide gives you all the information that you might need for studying in the UK, from the moment you are offered a place, to your first few weeks at UCA.


All UCA events

We run and attend events across the UK and all over the world - come and meet us, and discover the creative opportunities that UCA can offer you. Follow the link for full listings.

Other UCA locations

You also have the opportunity to study some of our courses at two highly unique and specialist locations.

Virtual Tours

Take a look around our campuses and view 360 images of some of our creative studio spaces and workshops.

Take a tour


UCA is on hand to help you with all your accommodation needs as you start your course. 

Get a prospectus

All you need to know for undergraduate and pre-degree entry.

UCA Publications

Download our publications, including our 2018 Pre-degree, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Business Prospectus.

Any questions?

We have a dedicated team of experts ready to answer your questions.

General enquiries:

Phone: +44 (0) 1252 892 883
Email: international@uca.ac.uk

Admissions enquiries:

Phone: +44 (0) 1252 892 838

My Courses


Course level

Course title