Progress towards achieving the UCA Catering Services Sustainable Food Policy and its associated action plan are reported annually to the Environment & Social Sustainability Working Group (ESSWG).
Achievements since 2014/15
- 86% of the purchases by UCA Catering Services across all four campuses were completed via The Universities Caterers Organisation (TUCO) approved suppliers. TUCO endeavours to embed sustainable procurement within all contracts and framework agreements http://www.tuco.org/buy/sustainability
- 14% of catering spend was with small local businesses, thereby supporting local economies and in the case of fresh fruit and vegetables, reducing food transport distances.
- All eggs purchased have been free-range and carried the Lion mark stamp
- All fish prepared and served has been Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified
- 100% of meat and meat products have carried the Red Tractor mark. The Red Tractor logo indicates that food is safe to eat, and has been produced responsibly - from farm to fork.
- Free drinking water is available at all times in all UCA canteens
- Reusable glass bottles have been introduced for all hospitality catering, including events and meeting room servicing.
- Discounts on the cost of coffee and tea are available at all catering outlets to those using their own mugs for hot beverages.
Useful documents, please click on links below to view and/or download: